Saturday, September 27, 2008

The First Debate

We cracked open a bottle of wine, put out some cheese and fresh-baked pumpernickel bread and sat down for an evening with the candidates. Overall I thought it was a good debate, which to me is a back-and-forth discussion of the issues. I want the participants to tell me, the viewer, what they are going to do about Iran, Afghanistan, Oil, The Economy; but more importantly, show me that they know what they are talking about. So for me, the winner is the one who accomplishes that.

To that extent, I'd have to say that Obama won. Obviously, I'm biased. But I'm also capable of independent thought. A part of me was watching this debate through the eyes of someone not predisposed to vote either way. That part of me saw Obama as Presidential and McCain as Senatorial. By that I mean that I can see Barack sitting in the Oval Office, taking advice, and making a command decision; whereas I can see McCain sitting at a conference table giving advice and working to achieve consensus or at least get what he wants. Nothing I have seen from McCain says 'Leader' in any way; at best it says 'Manager' and one you don't want to cross.

No comments: